Sunday 20 May 2012

Style Envy: Films to Style your wardrobe by...

I loved Cindy's Annie Hall post so much it got me thinking about all of the films that have influenced my own style. I am totally, flippin' obsessed with films, all films; short, feature, experimental, indie, musical, sub-titled, blockbuster, comedy, children's, horror, documentary, animated... basically - I will watch owt. So here is a run down of the films that I style my wardrobe by...

Cry Baby (1990)

Directed by the King of Cool himself, John Waters and starring Johnny Depp at his most heartbreaking, Cry Baby is one of my favourite films of all time.

Traci Lords is devastatingly hot in this film. I wish my hair was this big!





Working Girl (1988)

Working Girl has big shoulder pads, big glasses, big hair and a girl with big dreams. All the classic 80's looks are covered in this feel good film. It also contains one of my all time favourite movie lines, after declining a marriage proposal from her deadbeat cheating boyfriend she says: 'You want another answer? Then ask another girl.' 


Breathless (1960)

French New Wave God and director Jean Luc Godard famously said 'All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.' Breathless is an effortlessly cool film about a man's unrequited love for a beautiful woman. The lead Jean Seberg exudes natural beauty, perfectly balancing that tomboyish femininity. This girl rocks a breton stripe like no one else can. I think the boys could take some tips from Jean-Paul Belmondo's slick style in this film too, that big french dreamboat... swoon ♡! And her dress in the picture on the left reminds me very much of our Mama San 50's Summer dress

Strictly Ballroom (1992)

So this might seem like an odd choice but as a dancer I cannot resist a good dance film full of brightly coloured costumes covered in rhinestones, sky-high hairsprayed fringes and.... face gems. Especially when paired with a powder blue eye-shadow. Gia Carides as the bratty Liz Holt looks amazing throughout this film and the flamenco inspired matador outfits at the end of the film are to die for!

Latcho Drom (1993)

On a completely different path we have Toni Gatlif's film which seamlessly transports you to gypsy communities around the world. It is incredibly sensory and I find the colours, music, jewellery and dancing inspiring and beautiful. It is difficult to put into words how amazing this film is so just GO WATCH IT... NOW! 

Rabbit Moon (1950)

I am obsessed with Pierrots and I have pierrot trinkets and pictures all over my flat which I guess is one of the reasons I love Kenneth Anger's Rabbit Moon. It also has an amazing ethereal quality and a rocking sound track. Check out our adorable pierrot inspired top on the Mama San website.









So that's it folks. I am dying to hear about all of the films that you style your wardrobe by so tweet us @mamasanbrighton and/or leave us a comment below! x♡x



No comments:

Post a Comment