Wednesday 16 December 2009

Ricky Powell is cooooool


Basquiat and Warhol - I want this picture so much!





The MAN



I had an amazing night at the old Brighton Music Library last night. Legendary photographer Ricky Powell did a live talk/ slide show with DJ Format supplying the tunes. Ricky talked his audience through a set of amazing celebrity snapshots. These included early Beastie Boys (looking v v young) John Lee Hooker, Run DMC, Andy Warhol,Sophia Coppola, Jean - Michel Basquiat, Public Enemy, Keith Haring.
Ricky is exceptionally humble, down to earth and despite the huge talent in the room the whole affair had a low key vibe with lots of audience participation. He is also funny and the dude obviously still likes to party. The venue is a cold place but there was something quite appealing about the derelict basement and the underground buzz thats fast disappearing in Brighton. My fingers were numb, the toilets were disgusting but it was great and as I walked out I kept thinking to myself "what a life this man's lead - WHAT A LIFE!" Brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment