Thursday 9 July 2009

Jerry Dammers in Brighton






Jerry playing an amazing set




                                      

The Specials on Top of the pops.  Loving the knitwear, the flat caps, the check trousers, the shades and the dancing.  Its also got one of my fav lyrics ever " people say to me just be yourself, it makes no sense to follow fashion, how can I be anybody else, I don't try, I got no reason"  Classic!!! 




Last weekend legendary Jerry Dammers played a set right on our very own doorstep.  Jerry played eclectic a mix of Ska, Reggae, 70's funk and hip hop.  Everyone loved it and danced and danced and danced the night away.

I think Jerry is super super cool because:
He is a founder and keyboard player of The Specials, The Special A.K.A. and The Spatial AKA Orchestra.

He contributed to the founding of 2 Tone Records, which helped develop the 1970s/1980s ska revival. 

He became a noted anti-Apartheid campaigner, helping to create Artists Against Apartheid in the US, and writing the song "Free Nelson Mandela" about the jailed African National Congress leader in South Africa. 

Pete Doherty namechecked the Specials song "What I Like Most About You is Your Girlfriend" on Down in Albion.

He used to wear shades whilst performing.

No comments:

Post a Comment